Monday, August 31, 2009

the first day

day one at the hospital: check. it was a very good day. the commute was smooth, the people were kind, i learned a lot, and i came home excited about what this year will hold!

my day started by catching the 222 bus at 6:30am...eek! it was early, but it didn't take me long to realize that it is going to be a sacred time. it is quiet, super comfy, and not to mention some GOOD a/c! after everyone got settled and we started our journey on i-10, i cozied up next to the window and had some good prayer time to start my day...a morning discipline that i have only ever talked about having in the past. yes, this bus felt like a sanctuary to me.
and, today's ride was extra special when a woman got on, made eye contact with me, leaned over on her way down the aisle and said with great excitement, "you are my new pastor!" i instantly felt part of the community, which was a good feeling. as she got off the bus, she handed me her business card with the words "have a great first day at work" written on the back. it seriously felt like god giving me a big hug.

then, i swiftly transferred from the bus to the rail for several stops on main street, arriving at methodist hospital at 7:35am, which was perfect timing for my 7:45am start. i felt so accomplished at such an early hour!
orientation was informative. fun fact: methodist hospital opened in 1919. it quickly became challenged by the depression and when faced with over $100k in debt the administrator of the hospital threw his secretary the keys and said "we have to shut the doors." well, josie roberts did not want to let the patients down, so she got busy...she refinanced, cut expenses and kept the doors open. then she partnered with another woman named ella fondren who gave lots of money to expand. go girls!! this huge medical system was saved by these two amazing women. now plenty of amazing people have come after them, but they deserve serious props in my book.
another fun fact: i have 31 days to sign up for my medical, dental and flexible spending account benefits online. why is that a fun fact, you ask? because my knowing that answer scored me a new methodist hospital beach towel today! don't be jealous.
tomorrow i will actually meet my colleagues...
thanks for all the prayers, calls, texts, and fbook messages. love to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Glad your first day went well! Way to go with the beach towel...hope meeting your group goes well. Can't wait to hear about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great first day. I love that you are blogging so that I can keep with you; I love your "hug from God." Know that I am thinking about you and sending prayers your way...

    ReplyDelete