Friday, December 25, 2009

The Christmas Message

Merry Christmas. Peace is here.

That is the text message that I woke up to this morning from my friend Gavin. I have carried that thought with me today. I have wondered, "Is peace really here?" I have hoped that "peace is here." And I have said, "YES! Peace is here!" However, mostly I have found myself wishing that everyone would know Peace is here for and with all of us...that is why we find ourselves gathering to celebrate today.

As I drove to the hospital at 6am this morning, I balanced my time with joyful singing of Christmas carols and peaceful reflection on the gift of Peace being born. The sky was so beautiful against the lit buildings of the Med Center. I prayed that I would be an instrument of Peace today for all those in need of knowing Peace.

As I write this, my day is only half way over. However, it has been full. I'll admit, I was a little sad this morning. I was thinking about how my family was probably waking up, sipping on coffee and enjoying the company of each other. I felt a little lonely. I imagined my nephews passing out the gifts. I wondered what gifts they enjoyed the most.

Well, it wasn't long before I was able to experience some gifts of my own...they have just come in different packages this year. They have been in the form of conversations, prayers, and being wished Merry Christmas more times than I can count from strangers who are here caring for others.

One of my most significant gifts came from "Mr. J." He is a black man who is about 8 years my parents' senior. As I entered the room, he looked very pensive, so I said, "Tell me what you're thinking about today, Mr. J." What he'd been thinking about was several of his past Christmases. One of his most memorable was the year he was on military assignment in a snowy camp with lifelines to keep them from the bears. Another was just four years ago when he was barbecuing cornish hens and received a call that his sister had been rushed to the hospital that morning only to die later that day from a heart attack.

As I continued to listen to him share about his life, one of my favorite stories was an experience he had during the Civil Rights Movement in Tupelo. Mississippi. He found himself knocked down and pushed under a bus during a riot. He said, "My own people ran right over me, but three elderly white women and one of their grandsons saw me and dragged me out from under the bus just before it started moving." They carried him to their home, cleaned him up and nurtured him back to health with food and prayer. These strangers, "the other," gave Mr J. a glimpse of Peace that day. He still stays in touch with some of the family members of those women.

He told me what he loves most in life right now is sitting with his grandchildren and telling them stories about his life, sharing what he's learned, and hoping they will choose to be "Children of the Light." I thought, "What a gift he is giving those kids." Over the course of the hour, I realized I was the recipient of that gift too, and I didn't want to be any other place. Unexpectedly, Mr. J. was the instrument of Peace for me, and I was beginning to think that this Christmas might be one of my most memorable.

My prayer is that we all experience Peace, not just today. Expect it to come in unexpected ways.

Isaiah 9:6-7
6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

7 Of the increase of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the LORD Almighty
will accomplish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment