Monday, September 14, 2009

the test

so sunday was my first on-call. 7am - 7pm. doesn't sound that bad, but 12hrs of non-stop responding to the needs of people in the hospital is exhausting. it was nothing like my first on-call at children's in dallas. that first night the pager never went off, the phone never rang and the computer never spit out one referral. i think i had half of plano praying for me that night.

well, maybe i should have requested more prayers for this one. sunday was like test day. after two weeks of orientation, most of what i learned was put into action. procedures when someone dies, when there is a code blue, when someone needs to fill out a medical power of attorney/advanced directive form, when we have worship, etc. it all happened. all in one day. i started my day with a family who lost a loved one and ended the day with another. however, i was reminded that it is such a gift to be a part of such a life-changing and intimate moment in a family's life.

by far the most memorable experience of the day: after a few hours of conversation and pastoral support, i was holding the hand of a woman at the time the doctor came out to tell her that her mom died during surgery. that woman was just as much holding my hand though...her faith was strong...she taught me a lot about God that day. i shed tears with her as we gave thanks for God receiving her into his loving arms. i was so moved by this woman. i may never see her again, but she will always be a part of me. if this is a foretaste to the rest of the year, i am in for quite a feast...

1 comment:

  1. Wow Stace. I just caught up on the last few posts and am amazed. I knew the Lord had a lot in store for you down in H-town...but wow. Know that I'm praying. Love you!

    ReplyDelete